Monday, December 16, 2002

What kind of person can hear news of a close friend's engagement and after the immediate (and genuine) happiness for said friend, quickly start to process the news only in terms of how it is going to affect her socially? Me. That's the kind of person who would do that.

Where to begin? My thoughts jumped immediately to whether or not I will even be able to have a date to this wedding. I met Mr. Renaissance through this friend, so he will be there, but will he be there with me? This dear friend is also Mr. R's roommate. Clearly, they will be giving up their apartment, so where will Mr. R live? Perhaps far away from me, in the suburbs (or the country, more accurately speaking) with his family?

Then I just thought about how much my social stratosphere is changing. How people are getting married, having babies, getting engaged, buying houses, and what am I doing? Well, when I'm not home sick with a sore throat (as I am today), I have a 2.5 hour commute to a job I hate, I write on this blog, and I accompany my mother and sisters to holiday functions, and I still spend new years eve with other WOMEN. I am so sick of this life.

Hearing that my friend was engaged at least gave my sick self the motivation to shower and go check the mail. Could I be any more of a loser? Probably.

No comments: