Saturday, December 14, 2002

Still Life: Breakfast Dishes with Crumpled Napkins

It is a mostly cloudy morning. I am sitting at my desk, in my bathrobe, my hair matted to my skull, except for the fronds at the top and in the front that are shooting every which way. It is a typical Saturday morning. I am nursing a too big cup of coffee, and my belly is quasi full with my new fail-safe treat: oven toast. I am thinking I will walk down to the library today, get a card, and check out some books or videos. Or maybe I will go to Rite-Aid and buy some Christmas lights. I may do neither of those things. The beauty of a day alone is that you are accountable only to yourself, and have no one else's preferences to consider. I find that I tend to do the things I should only when I am alone. Something about having to navigate a space with others in it hems me in too much, and I feel too limited, so I do nothing at all.

No comments: