Wednesday, December 04, 2002

Plate of Figs

My good friend Sassafrass Teawrap made me one of her famous decoupage collages. The metaphor of this particular piece is the hope that one finds in waiting for the fulfillment of promises. In the Bible figs/fig trees are often associated with fulfillment, or the lack thereof. Recently, the scripture "He who tends a figtree will eat its fruit" has become especially meaningful to me, specifically in the context of my prayers for a certain gentleman. I worried that my prayers for him might later serve some other woman who would benefit from all of the emotional energy I've sown into him. My courage to press on, believing that my longings will be satisfied, was bolstered by remembering these words.

In other news, I am not at my place of business today; I am home sick. My illness is not debilitating, just uncomfortable. I have a tight, scratchy throat, body aches, and a general sense of malaise... a film of ickiness, if you will. Nothing, however, Nothing can eradicate the pervasive sense of joy I have in this season of advent. The coming of beautiful things, the realization of kisses to come, crisp air, presents and other expressions of generosity between friends and strangers, and many other signs and wonders.

I am also restless. I feel very impatient with things that take a long time to explain, or to take in. My soul is curled up leaf, slowly uncurling.

No comments: