Saturday, December 28, 2002

Emerson Was A Transcendentalist

Ralph Waldo Emerson is the most quotable individual who has ever lived. I know, I know. He had his faults (and was probably unduly prejudiced against the Chinese), but how can you not respect a man who said "I hate quotes; tell me what you know."? Or, "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."? Or, "Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist."?

I think he also said "Make yourself necessary to somebody."

Mr. Renaissance has typed up another of his famous scathing letters, calling attention to discrepancy, social/academic injustice, and blowing the lid off of farce. And he asked me to review it for him (as I have reviewed other documents of his in the past). This is my role in his personal revolution, that of editor-in-chief. Last year at the New Year's Eve party we attended he introduced me to people as someone who is an editor by trade, but who is really a poet. Or, quite possessively, once as "his editor."

I feel the most useful, the most in my element, when I am helping him with something, advising him, praying for him, correcting his grammar, etc. Or, conversely, the most challenged when I am showing him a poem for the first time, when I am listening to him discuss the work of his art, and what it costs him.

How could a woman not want to make love forever to this man?

No comments: