Sunday, December 08, 2002

Vick's Vapo Rub and a Tribute to Family Angst...

My sister talked to me on Friday about the possibility of her, my mother's lover, and my mother all coming to see me in my province on Saturday (yesterday). As much as possible this would be kept a surprise from my mother up til the last possible second. Because they would only be coming from an hour away, and my mother pays about as much attention to her surroundings as a blind gnat (not to mention the fact that she is almost pitiably gullible), surprising her was entirely feasible.

Yesterday evening I went downstairs from my highrise apartment building and got into the car where they were waiting. My mother was asleep in the passenger seat, and did not stir even when I closed the car door behind me. Our destination was the waterfront and street shop pavillions that are the main tourist traps of my town. We parked in a hotel garage. The lover said gently to her "We're here." She awakened then, and I gently tapped her on the shoulder. She was confounded with shock; she kept touching my face as though she couldn't believe I was really there. We had talked a few times during the day over the telephone, and she had said several times that she wished she could see me, especially since I was so sick.

When we emerged onto the charmingly winterified streets of the bustling downtown area, her eyes lit up. You see, she had dreamed she'd been there earlier that day, and her own clairvoyance staggered her. She was a visual treat in her white faux fur-trimmed hat and periwinkle coat (also with faux fur trim). The Lover was classically casual in crisp jeans, black dress shoe/boot footwear, and a lovely navy turtleneck sweater, sporting his ever present gold-rimmed spectacles. My sister was decidely in her best fashion element with tan platform shoes, a perfectly matched (to the shoes) peasant blouse, and dark denim pants. I wore my coat that is doing an impression of bulgher wheat, with my dark grey scarf from bolivia, my scratchy wool peasant cap. A simple grey sweater with white button down oxford underneath, pale denim jeans, and slip on leather dream clouds for shoes... I guess we all looked quite nice out on the town together.

We all walked around, window shopped a bit, put in our names at a restaurant that it takes a ridiculously long time to get into. It was pleasant, except for my mother's penchant for finding something to complain about in any dining out scenario. I spent more money paying for my sister and myself that I can probably afford, but I think it will be okay. I hope it will be okay.

By the time I arrived back in my apartment, I felt run down from being out in the cold air. I put the kettle on for honey lemon ginseng tea, and slathered Vick's all over my congested chest. I was somewhat and inexplicably depressed. I called Sassafrass Teawrap who poured the healing balm of her words into the fissures in my heart. I felt hopeful when I hung up. The the lovely Sarahbina cooed over my sick self and administered tons of tender loving care by talking with me til I drifted off to sleep.

No comments: