Thursday, December 19, 2002

Healing Properties

My throat was swollen; at night I experienced the chills that often accompany a fever; I had trouble sleeping, even though that is what my body longed for more than anything else. I was unconcerned, for the most part, with the goings on of the outside world. I was the kind of sick that makes truly funny, interesting, endearing things neutral. Everything is stripped of its essence. The kind of illness where you cannot imagine that you will not always feel as though you have been run over by an 18-wheeler. Nothing competes with your aches for your attention, because they are so pervasive, you can't remember when you didn't ache.

You don't miss the taste of food or gourmet coffee because the only thing you can force down your swollen throat is an awful hot water, salt, lemon fiasco--a twist on some back water relative's recipe for a cure. I gargled this stuff to no avail two or three times before I broke down and went to the clinic.

I was diagnosed with Tonsilitis. That helped me...knowing I had something real for which there are treatments...

So now it is all about celebrating Zithromax, my current drug of choice, and drinking Echinacea tea, eating softened ice cream, and once again, sleeping like a baby.

No comments: