Thursday, July 14, 2005

Taizé

Upon entering the chapel, I immediately sensed the palpable presence of quietude. I took my seat in one of the pews...just one of 5 other attendants (not counting the two musicians), and assumed my role in the worshipful silence of the service.
Taizé is a silent and sung prayer service named for a region in France where a seminary student introduced the idea over 40 years ago. I was charmed by it because it has all of the appropriate solemnity and the aesthetics of a Catholic or Anglican service, but in a protestant setting.

Afterward, I walked to the Graduate Christian Fellowship meeting where I had the pleasure to make the acquaintance of an artist (and her chemist boyfriend). I really see the providential hand of God in not only giving me peace about continuing to go, as I'm able, to these meetings, but in showing me that he is mindful of my concerns as a Christian artist (namely, the need to make connections with similar people).

No comments: