Saturday, July 30, 2005

The Postman Always Validates Twice

I just took out my garbage. On my way back in, I ran into the postman who services my building. He and I have a degree of friendliness between us, so chitchat on the few and far between occasions that I see him are the norm.

As I was waiting for the elevator he asked "you losing weight?"
I indicated that I was... and still going, to which he chuckled and said "I see!"

I thought it was cool that he felt free to say something. Most people, in general, but men, especially, are hesitant to comment on such matters (even when it's obvious) because weight (loss or gain) is such a private matter, and if you do say something and are wrong, it can be doubly embarrassing.

In any case, my mailman has no such hangups, and his remark made my day so far.

Litte Italy

Caryl and I joined E, J, and another mutual friend of their's for a scrumptuous feast at Chiapparelli's last evening. Because E and the manager are solid chums, he comped us fried calamari and drinks. The conversation was spirited and full of anecdotes. E's chum, the manager, joined us at the table when he had a few minutes and regaled us with stories of his parochial school days, which featured these characaters he called 'The Fitzgerald Twins.' I'm telling you it was priceless...

especially the inexplicable spark I felt whenever I made eye contact with said manager.

No comments: