Saturday, July 23, 2005

Downsizing and Rethinking

The cable guy came this afternoon to take away the digital box and to take me down to the "expanded basic" service. For the last half a year I've had digital cable for half the price and free HBO and Showtime as part of a special promotion. As that promotion was about to end, and I did not want to pay for that particular package at full price, I knew I needed to take a step to save my wallet before I started incurring charges.

Now, a bit more radical for me...I'm doing the one thing I thought I would never do. I'm getting rid of my home telephone line. For someone who gets called by an average of 3 people (one of whom lives with me, for the next few weeks anyway), there is no way on Earth that I need two full service phones. I am infinitely reachable, yet no one ever really needs to reach me. That will eliminate a huge bill (my home line is complete with caller ID, caller intercept, call waiting, and long distance), and will make me feel a little less ridiculous.

Now for the cat thing....

Having gone back and forth about this, I decided that my original thought to bring a cat into my life while my sister is living with me is not the wisest thing for the animal since my apartment is in transition, and space is limited now. So I had decided (after listening to Sarah's counsel)to wait until the fall.

However, because I also really want to move as soon as possible, and am uncomplicating my life to that end, it seems like the worst time to bring a helpless, living creature into a situation that is in psychological flux. So, I am waiting for a better, as yet undetermined time. This issue is offically back burner for now.

No comments: