Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Metabo-Girl

Okay, so my metabolism is super amped, and I basically cannot stop eating. Granted, I'm eating things like puffed millet and organic oatmeal (breafkast), a protein bar for a snack, and collard greens with garlic & baby portabellas with brown rice for lunch (had to go out for chicken salad, though, because my body really needs a lot of protein), and water, for goodness' sake, but please! After the chicken salad (with almonds and apricots...delish!) I finally felt sated...

Then day 2 of the mysterious afternoon headache began. I resisted the urge to make a pot of coffee for about 3 hours. Now I'm having a cup because I am not getting jack done at la oficina, which makes Kate a very bad editor (hello, we've got another ridiculous deadline). I feel like my body is going through its own personal existential crisis, independent of my id, superego, and ego. They're all marvy for the time being. My body, on the other hand, is all confused about what's happening to it. I mean, clamoring for coffee, generating headaches, refusing to stop eating (albeit, healthily)...pure adolescent rebellion.

In thinking about the quiet, reflective prayer service I'm attending tonight, I realized that I really shouldn't go into it as tired as I am. Sitting there in the dim, candlelit room is going to be good for napping, not tapping into the heart of God... i'm not hungry, per se, but I feel a need for something I cannot name.

What does my body want from me. I'm trying to treat it well for the first time in about 17 years and this is the thanks I get!

No comments: