Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The Plot Thickens (by unthickening)

The truth is far less interesting than fiction in some cases. The first rule of a fiction narrative is that it must be plausible, but the plot has to be contrived enough to be more interesting than say, a simple misunderstanding. The tug of war between imitation and harmony and all that.

In any case, I was sent the announcement. He hoped I did not feel slighted by what was perceived to be an intentional withholding of the information. This is far less interesting than the original scenario. It came down to overly vigilant e-mail servers blocking perceived spam. Things still happen as they are supposed to. If I hadn't felt it ridiculous to not acknowledge the birthday of someone who, for the last several years, has meant so much to me...this may never have come out in the wash. If all that is not enough, he sent his hopes that I can come to the wedding. I'll leave it to you, gentle reader, to decide whether you think I'll be attending or not.

No comments: