Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Finished

I couldn't find my keys this morning. I realized this just after Michael called me to tell me he'd be outside my building to pick me up for work in just a couple of minutes. Panic ensued. I eventually found them under my pillow. It's a wonder I didn't dream about doors that I couldn't open.

Fortunately, for me, my boss was out sick today. This was a good turn only because I really needed to spend some time finalizing my final paper for the Contemporary American Writers class that wrapped up tonight, and I couldn't very well do that with any ease with her happening by my desk and random intervals.

Per the instrucotr we all brought "celebratory eats" for the fete. There was quite a nice spread, including 3 different kinds of beer, chips, bread, dips, cookies. I had more alcohol than anything else during the first half of class and spent that hour in a relative shroud of unaffected peace of mind. The discussion was interesting from this vantage point. Everyone seemed so impassioned. I followed the conversation, but didn't proffer any thoughts of my own.

I realized that I hadn't eaten since lunch time, which is why I felt that half a beer and 3/4 of a glass of wine. During the break, I got some of the food, but restrained myself to very limited portions.

Blast it all, but I ended up leaving my breadknife and tea towel behind! I sure hope someone picked them up and will return both to me. I sent out an e-mail once I got home. If these items are irretrievably lost, then I invoke the spirit of Elizabeth Bishop's "One Art," and say "the art of losing isn't hard to master/ so many things seem filled with the intent/ to be lost that their loss is no disaster."

The long day of the spring semester is over. Now I just wait for the grade report, then I relax with Caryl all summer.

No comments: