Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Fitness-related Pet Peeves

It is not only common courtesy, but a rule at public gymnasiums that one wipe off, using a solution (provided by the gym), any equipment that one has used once one is finished with that machine. Essentially, you are not permitted to leave your sweat on any equipment.

I am noticing a disturbing trend among some of the clientele that frequent my fitness facility. I have seen a few offenders "wipe" off machines with their own towels (already soaked with their sweat!), or half-heartedly with their own hands (what?!), or not at all... they just walk away, sociopathic and whatnot... either not thinking of the next person who may come in after them, assuming the machine has been cleaned...or not caring. either way.

Another bothersome trend is the sizing attributed to workout gear. Wanting to trade in my old (now baggy)sweats for some more streamlined workout pants, I went shopping this past Saturday. I still weigh enough to merit an extra large in most things, so I automatically went for the XL bottoms. When I tried them on, I fit them, but in no way comfortably. As a matter of fact that "XL" felt more like a large to me. Not only were they too small, but weren't even cut right for my body. The pervasive theme seems to be that you can't wear true work out clothes unless you are already relatively thin, and have a body of a specific shape.

I know there are specialty stores/catalogues where larger people can buy comfortable (and more expensive) exercise clothing, but I really do believe there should be a greater variety of sizes available in stores and sports shops. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

No comments: