Sunday, May 15, 2005

12 Days!

Starting Thursday, May 19th through Monday, May 30th, the gym will be closed due to commencement and scheduled maintenance. This is reasonable given that it's a university facility, but what on earth am I going to do?! I guess I'll have to start doing my resistance bands at home, coupled with power walking the track again, but I'll miss out on the lowerbody lifting that I just can't do at home. Thankfully, I have my 3 pound weights, so I don't have to completely miss out on arm work. I'm up to 30 crunches a day now, too. Every little bit will help...

Life is so funny. Just when one obstruction is cleared, another one slides in to take its place. I have been waiting for the end of the semester with baited breath so that I could start to go to the gym 5 times a week, consistently. So what happens? The week arrives when I can finally do that, and the gym is scheduled to shut down not even half-way through that week.

Here is the upside to the timing of this:

My sister is coming on the 20th or 21st, so I will not be tempted to forego giving the apartment a thorough cleaning before her arrival in favour of workout sessions. And I can burn some calories sweeping, scrubbing, wiping, etc.

It will also give us an opportunity to bond and settle into our snug living arrangement, too. Everything happens for a reason. I'm trying to embrace what transpires instead of fighting against it.

For example, at the beginning of April the elevator in my building was closed off for all use because it is being replaced (and this is necessary, believe me). It is still out of service, and the last I heard, would be until the end of May. Now this has been an inconvenience on many levels, but the timing perfectly coincided with my fitness efforts. So, essentially, I've gotten some free, enforced cardio! I may keep taking the stairs even after the new unit is up and running. We'll see...

Church this morning was comforting. The congregation is going through a series on the Book of Ruth, entitled "Radical Love Stories." At this point in my life, I want to focus on God's sovereign husbandry of me, instead of looking for a stop-gap male to fantasize about. I see that I am still so susceptible to that temptation...that being to manufacture emotions toward someone to feed my addiction to being rejected.

I watched "What the Bleep Do We Know?" yesterday, and while I don't buy everything about the proffered theories, I see the wonder and majesty of God in the study of Quantum Physics. I was amazed, again, by the idea that our cells are preprogrammed toward given "mindsets," if you will. Every time a thought pattern is interrupted, long-standing relationships between cellular structures and synapses are broken. A Thought is an imprint that, over time, changes the shape of the body.

Is it any wonder that all battles are lost and won in the mind, and the result can be seen physically manifested in the body?

No comments: