Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Oversleeping is clarifying. Michael was due to pick me up at 6:40 this morning, and for some reason, I just happened to turn over at 6:13. My alarm should have sounded at 6:00, and maybe it did, but I didn't hear it. Needless to say, with limited time, there was no putzing about. I was able to get ready in about 15 minutes.

I was pretty restless last night after my plans wrapped up (sometimes I am just keyed up after social engagements). Greg-the-philosopher and I hung out for about 3 hours, most of that at the One World. I asked him at the outset if we could avoid certain topics, and he was fine with that, but let me know that he didn't mind talking through things with me if I wanted to do that. He seemed to feel that he could listen to me without compromising any of his friend's confidences (which means, gentle reader, in case you are not paying attention, that there are confidences, but that is not for me to ponder at this point).

We proceeded to have, in my estimation, a terrific evening. Because I have no agenda where he is concerned, our exchange was probably more authentic than any I've had with The Artiste, which is just sad... I always felt like we (the artiste and I) were both behind glass, never really reaching each other during many of our exchanges. Too many secrets, too many boundaries, too much of my agenda. In any case, Greg and I regaled each other with personal anecdotes, we talked about movies, certain directors, and I see that he's just a good guy to know.

I knew that he was funny and very intellectually stimulating before, but as I said previously, being around him was always a bit unnerving in the context of my feelings for gordon, because I saw him as some kind of threat, the harbinger of gloomy proclamations regarding g's feelings for other girls... In any case, I'm glad we finally managed to get together, and whether we ever do again, it was a very heartening evening. I felt confident in my ability to hold my own in the arena of that social exchange. It's the most enviable position to be in, that of desiring nothing from a person.

No comments: