Friday, April 22, 2005

Marginalized Art

This article in this week's edition of the City Paper features a handful of poets in Baltimore having a candid, roundtable discussion about the pitfalls of being a poet in this day and age, and the marginalized status of the form (though not all participants agreed that it's marginalized). I found myself invigorated and amen-ing several of the sentiments. Worth a read. I would love to have been a part of this conversation.

One set of comments turned up the usual sentiment that Baltimore is not an art town, though it can boast several artists in residence. This is my vision for Baltimore's renaissance. To put us on the map for what we already are, but don't have the courage to claim. The most underrated city on the east coast.

I would love my literary chums to read this article and comment with your own thoughts. Let's dialogue. Heck, let's have our own panel.

No comments: