Friday, April 15, 2005

Letting Sleeping Dogs Lie...

I received an e-mail from a lapsed friend yesterday. She is in need of a favor. Despite our expired relationship, because I know that the fact that she asked must mean she is desperate, I prayerfully considered whether or not I should consent to help her. I asked Sarah's opinion, since she's remarkably clear-headed about these things, but in the end, I decided for myself that it is best to let sleeping dogs lie.

The fact is I do not want this person in my life again. Doing her this favor would be tantamount to agreeing to open that door back up. I have not regretted severing ties with her. I don't wish her ill; I am not actively angry with her. I just see that it is best for us both to not be in each other's lives.

It is always hard to know where is the line between cruelty and wisdom. And I wonder, too, am I just being unyielding on principle? Well, my tendency would be to do the favor, so maybe that is what I should be suspicious of...this need to step in and be the one who saves the day, even at great cost to myself. No one has much use for martyrs anymore, and I know that trying to be one usually makes me miserable. When I weighed it all, the only reasonable answer was no.

No comments: