Sunday, April 03, 2005

Blue Bathrobe, fuzzy slippers, and a mixed berry smoothie for breakfast...

Yesterday I managed to do laundry, clean the bathroom, mop the kitchen floor, sweep, go for a two-mile walk, and watch both "Scarface" and "Any Given Sunday." This morning, I am sitting here, fresh from the shower, drinking a smoothie for breakfast, and getting ready to enjoy the day and evening with Sarah. We are going out to lunch, but we have to decide where.

Eating out is still tricky for me because while there are healthy options on most menus, the desire to eat something less conservative is strong... I am working on challenging myself to not be swayed by my old way of thinking about food. In truth, so much of that has already changed. Or, when I am enjoying something that is a bit more of luxury item, portion control must still win out.

On Friday after work, I met up with a friend at the James Joyce Pub where I had 4 buffalo wings, some fried calamari, and 3/4 of a Yeungling, and it was hard for me not to feel that I had done something really terrible after the fact. Granted, these were not great options, but it was happy hour at a pub, and I was splitting food with someone... I think I may also have to learn to negotiate the feeling in myself that I'm letting someone down if I'm not up for eating "fun" foods. That was and is totally my own bag, though. No one forced me to order a beer, or anything else for that matter. In any case, I'm continuing my regimen, and I'm trying to exercise personal integrity. This is my road to hoe, but I am grateful for the support of my friends who have said how proud they are. That is very crucial to my success.

Well, I should go put some clothes on. Daylight Savings Time made getting out of bed a real struggle this morning.

No comments: