Thursday, September 30, 2004

Picking a Winner

PW was much better tonight (for me, personally). I'm having a love-hate relationship with the class, but am trying to consider the weaknesses in my poetry that it's forcing me to face instead of feeling superior to my classmates for what I have dubbed their "preoccupation with linear progression."

I picked a poem to workshop tonight that was very simple, difficult to misconstrue--so that the critique could focus on the language and the structure of the language.
I got my professor's comments back on the quatrain I submitted last week. She felt that it was a good start, but noted several weaknesses. I couldn't have agreed more. It was forced and wobbly, but that's to be expected. Writing in form (at first) is like learning to write in cursive. Your first attempt is definitely something, but it looks like crap.

Is it time for the weekend already?

No comments: