Tuesday, September 21, 2004

My groceries were delivered at about 20 minutes before 10 last night (my delivery window was 7-10). I was a bit disappointed that the scallops I ordered were out of stock, but it knocked about 10 dollars off my bill, which I can actually use.

I have been experimenting with writing poetry in form, which I've avoided up to now.
I wrote a piece today entitled "A Quatrain Study." It's wobbly, as though I wrote it with my left hand, metaphorically speaking.(Sidebar: I thought this was apparent, but just to be sure, the poem I posted yesterday was my way of being facetious. That is not a serious effort. I was still a bit miffed by the inane comments of my workshop, but I see now that if I'm to have a productive experience for the rest of the semester, I have to shake it off.)

I am thinking of making banana bread for tomorrow night's Smallville premiere party. Even though I am doing this for Gordon, it seems gauche not to make some offering for people to enjoy. I'll offer coffee and tea, too, obviously. I would love to do more, but ye olde pocketbook won't allow it. Besides, I totally go over board with things like this. If I don't reign myself in, I try to buy things like Seafood Newburg and Lump Crab in Filo dough. Way too much. I get that from my mother--that need to be generous, and also to win love by being lavish. Not to reduce this tendency totally to negative pathology. I like to see people enjoying themselves and having the very best. Some of that desire to go all out has its root there.

Still living and breathing Kafka, and think that I will do one of the three papers I have to write this semester on The Trial.

No comments: