Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Water Logged

The rain went from nuisance to nasty bastard as the day wore on. By the time I got home (another late bus in the afternoon), I discovered that the Appelfeld novel that we will be reading and discussing next in 20th Century World Literature was completely soaked. Apparently, I had not zipped my tote bag soon enough, and a significant amount of water had gotten in, even under my umbrella (maybe from my umbrella, who knows?) The two cds that Gordon gave me for my past two birthdays were in that bag, and their inserts are also swollen with rain, not to mention my leather butterfly purse, which is water stained. I just spent some time blow drying the book. It seems to have helped some, but the damage is done. I don't even know if all of the pages will separate once it dries. I'm tempted to feel pissed, but I know it was my own carelessness that is the culprit. Items that were in zipped compartments stayed dry, and are in perfect condition.

About four people were missing from class tonight--it was truly despicable weather in which to be traveling. The only way not to get soaked is to stay inside. The discussion was okay, but I felt out of sorts. I contributed to the conversation, but didn't feel as much "on fire" as I did last week.

I thought I detected some low grade flirtation between the prof and a woman in the class--definitely on her end anyway, just before we got started. I felt a twinge of something. Perhaps low grade jealousy to correspond to their mild, but palpable attraction. Now that I am writing this out, I see that my reaction had to do with the fact that I felt very validated by his affirmations of my points last week and to see him nonverbally validating another woman made me feel that my experience was undermined somehow. It's textbook...

No comments: