Saturday, March 01, 2003

Worth The Wait...

What can I say? Ms. F had a migraine, so it was just Mr. Renaissance and me. Unbeknownst to me, it was a "dress happy" party. I was just wearing jeans and a dark grey turtleneck. He had on a pin stripe seer sucker suit with a salmon-pink tie. Even though we didn't stay together the entire night, we were together so much. He made me a Long Island Iced Tea, we bantered, we jived... He talked to me frankly about his desire to live in New York, how he feels that Baltimore is an unfriendly town...how women in the Big Apple check him out (whereas women in Balto never do), and that this gives him more confidence. I wanted to say "Baby, I'm checking you out all the time." But it's okay; I know he is being prepared for me. I know even now that God is teaching him how to love me. And it's going to catch him by surprise when he realizes he does. But me? I'm just going to melt into him, and I'm never gonna say 'I told you so,' 'cause that would be bad form.

I told him about my desire to go to grad school, and even mentioned that I had really wanted to apply to a school in New York about 3 years ago. He thought this was a wonderful idea, and told me I need to leave this place... how much we both do. But even being as intoxicated as I am, I know he didn't mean "together." He didn't mean that yet.

He finally saw my braids. He liked them. We talked about everything. Abba. The maybe/maybe not war with Iraq, The Tragic Michael Jackson Debaucle... He reenacted the Catholic communion ceremony. I told him that I used to think he was inaccessible, but now I know better. And I told him that I'm in therapy. And he thought that was good. And he is so beautiful in his complex simplicity. And I know him, and in his way he knows me.

I just enjoyed him... sucking the helium out of balloons and singing negro spirituals, i enjoyed him talking about his favourite films, i enjoyed his leisure suit, and i trust him to get us where we're going.

No comments: