Sunday, March 16, 2003

Sanctions and Embargos

I find that when sanctions and embargos become necessary, war is usually inevitable. Two or more entities are at an impasse, but there is something to lose, so they can't simply write each other off. One of them has the upper hand (actual or perceived). This is the party that imposes the sanction. "If you comply, you may not necessarily be in my good graces, but you won't have any trouble with me," the maneuver seems to say.

War is inevitable because sanctions foster resentment. At first the party(ies) with something to lose might think "well, okay" (or maybe there isn't this even half-hearted desire to avoid trouble. If there is a history of sanctions, they might already be bitter). But then they think, "Who the hell are you to put ME on ice?!" Then there is the scramble to regain lost ground, not by compliance, but by becoming more of a pain in the ass, or by exploiting the vulnerabilities of the sanction imposer(s).

I know you think I'm talking about America and Iraq.

No.

I'm talking about interpersonal relationships.

No comments: