Wednesday, March 12, 2003

I just finished Fool's Journey by Lynn C. Miller, and am getting ready to jump into Was It Beautiful? by Alison McGhee. I have loved the petit Renaissance of literature in my life. A writer writes, but a writer must begin by reading. a lot.

Obviously my pity party is over, and I am ready to get down to the brass tacks of pulling myself up by the boot straps, surveying the damage, and proceeding with a course of action.

To the lovely Quill and equally lovely Devika, I thank you both for the suggestions of other grad programs and cities I might explore. D, I had thought of exploring Iowa (one of my former supervisors went there for a graduate degree in Literature)...but the heart of the matter is that my search beyond the East Coast yesterday was more about posturing at running away. I might as well have been a child packing up a little suitcase because some parental rules have grated me, and who only ends up making it as far as my best friend's house, and then turns around and goes back when I realize I am hungry for my mother's supper. Kansas was a decoy. When I am seriously casting my net, I will check out IA. Can I be truthful though? I love the East Coast. We shall see where my GRE scores and financial situation leads me. I'm ready for the adventure.

Now I'm in the middle of a light laundry evening and sipping coffee that has gone cold.

I think on my next library run I will pick up a few classics like Candide, Ethan Frome, and Anna Karenina.

As a final thought, I am looking forward to going someplace called The Spy Club with Mr. R on the 21st. His suggestion... I have no idea....

No comments: