Sunday, March 30, 2003

I now know the name of the piece of classical music so achingly beautiful that the first time I heard it in a Woody Allen film (lesser known, Another Woman) I sat up from my seat and felt that what I was really hearing was the sound my heart would make if it understood how. Satie: Gymnopedies 3 (orch. Debussy). Sarahbina has a cd collection of Romantic Adagios on which this piece appears with its companion (part 1). She was playing it on Friday night while making the egg casserole for Ms. F.'s shower, and when the opening strains filled the living and dining area of my little apartment I said 'Oh My God,' meaning it as a prayer.

In the film the music plays as a woman and a man run through the rain in Central Park and share a tortured kiss, their first and only, since the relationship will never bloom, due mostly to the woman's fear of her own capacity for passion.

No comments: