Thursday, January 12, 2006

S. N. A. F. U.

So, our company switched to a different payroll system, which means we were issued live checks this pay period (today); direct deposit was not available (for this check only) for those who participate in that system. What this meant for me was taking half a personal day so that I could go and deposit my check into the bank. Except the date on the check is tomorrow's date so my bank wouldn't touch it.

I thought, initially, about just cashing it at the company's bank, but felt so defeated by the date barrier that I assumed no institution would process this check until tomorrow. I went home, ate lunch, and went to the gym.

And then, a surge of empowerment. I walked to a neighborhood branch of the company's bank and got their paper turned into cash (for a five dollar service charge, but it was worth it to me at that point). Tonight while I'm out to dinner with Sarah I'll put the money into an ATM. It should be available immediately since it's going in as cash. Rest assured I will be calling the good people at my banking institution tomorrow and making sure that's the case.

On the way back from the bank I stopped in at Carma's Cafe (a coworker just mentioned it to me the other day) and got a delicious skim, decaf latte. While there I bumped into my poetry workshop instructor from fall 2004 (whose class I will have again on the dc campus starting week after next); she didn't recognize me. Because I "usually wear a hat," she said. I think she was registering the weightloss differential and didn't want to run the risk of offending me...or, she knew something was different, but couldn't quite put her finger on it.

In any case, the snafu is back to just "s. n." (situation normal).

No comments: