Saturday, January 14, 2006

Remember the day I unintentionally stiffed a cabbie?

Well, as I prayed would happen, today I encountered that driver again. After a wonderful breakfast of scrambled eggs, capers, lemon infused cream cheese, smoked salmon, and multi-grain toast, I walked to the cab station at the hotel that's just up the block and got into a taxi. Inside of 10 seconds I recognized the driver and made up my mind that I would pay not only this days's fare and a tip, but that I would give him what I owed him for last time.

I just wasn't sure what I should say to him, so I barrelled forward and asked him if he remembered driving me to work one morning in early October. After giving him some of the details, he did remember, and told me that he knew it had been an accident. I assured him that it had been and told him that I prayed I would get the opportunity to make it right.

I gladly gave him what was rightfully his when he dropped me off at the hair salon. What a gift to be able to make something right. What a gift that he had thought the best of me even when my mistake had been at his expense.

Tremendous!

No comments: