Friday, January 06, 2006

Discretion is the better part of valor

I've been giving considerable thought to the notion of discretion off and on for several years now. For as conscientious and careful as I can be about many things, I'm not often very discreet, much to my chagrin. The spirit of discretion is about more than simply not telling other folks' business, it's about guarding one's mouth against saying or sharing anything that is not edifying or necessary. Indeed to reach the point at which one is not only not saying these things, but not thinking them.

I haven't attempted to calculate how many times in a given day I say things, make disclosures, or comment in mean-spirited ways about things that cannot help but to eventually poison my own character, and reflect badly upon me, but I know that they are legion. And it's been easy to slip into unthoughtful speech because I have confused it with "telling it like it is," or just sharing information among my friends, or whatever.

The Bible cautions repeatedly (mostly in the book of Proverbs) against being a babbling fool, giving full vent to one's anger, and being a dolt, in general.

I am willing myself to be more discreet as a matter of course, more principled in my dealings, both professional and personal. Up to this point (the mere handful of days I've been purposing to be more careful about my speech), I have found it to be remarkably liberating.

As I begin my freelance business my character will be even more important and will directly affect the success or failure of that business. Here's the thing: Most often people don't regret holding their tongues at that pivotal moment. I'm not speaking of a refusal to speak up for what's right. I'm thinking more about not always letting your left hand know what your right hand is doing, not being a gossip, or one who parlays the weaknesses of others in conversation for personal, social cachet.

It's important for me to audit my character on a regular basis because all kinds of malevolence can sneak in undetected. One of the dreams I have for myself is that I would be considered to be a woman of great honour and dignity. And I only want to be considered that if I am that.

No comments: