Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Back Home

I'd been at Sarah's from Sunday night until just about an hour ago. We planned for me to come over that night since we both had MLK's Birthday off work. Of course, we couldn't have planned that that night I would come down with a surprisingly tenacious stomach bug (surprising b/c I'm often able to shake a bug of any sort in 24 hours or less). Being at Sarah's place did give me someone to take care of me, which is no small thing. For most of today and all day yesterday I sat in her comfy chair with the heating pad attached to me, on "high" virtually non-stop, while she went off to work. The food I've eaten is negligle (Saltines, chicken soup, the usual suspects)but I have tried to hydrate.

At one point this morning, I walked to Sarah's neighborhood Safeway and bought about 30 dollars' worth of medicine and medicinal supplies. I thought I detected the beginnings of a sore throat--which for those who know me, know it is my own personal kiss of death. Not much will get me to a doctor, but I start mobilizing when my ability to swallow is compromised. I couldn't tell if there was yet another illness lurking, if my current one was morphing into something else, or if it was just ambient pain. I took some DayQuil, which seems to have tamed the beast for now. But if it persists, I will so be going to one of those fast-food type clinics for some antibiotics.

Anyway, I'm back home now, and while I am still decidely under the weather, I am what I would call a high-functioning invalid. I may try going in to work tomorrow for half a day. It's still too early to tell.

No comments: