Monday, June 27, 2005

Power Outage

I came home from a 4-hour stint at the One World (Victoria and I always have so much to say to each other) to find the power out, and caryl, once again, bored out of her mind because of it. We immediately started brainstorming things we could do, or some place we could go. As it turned out, we just goofed off for the next hour or so, playing I SPY (which apparently I suck at, according to my sister). In a fit of true boredom, I began to dust, to which Caryl said "I can't believe we've been reduced to dusting!"

Eventually we walked to a hole-in-the-wall neighborhood pub that college students and locals frequent and had a nasty dinner. I had hardly eaten anything at the OW (too busy talking), so having the burger, a diet coke, (I have essentially given up soda, but wanted something fizzy, but not highly caloric) and two jalapeno poppers didn't really matter. I also burned 599 caloric units on the elliptical in the morning, so I had a nice calorie deficit going on already. My point is, I no longer really enjoy food like this (high in fat, absolutely no nutritional value), even if the pounds no longer pack on because I exercise them away. I hate how my body feels after consuming them. Give me some steamed broccoli over that crap any day!

We were so thankful that the power had returned when we got back to the apartment. The AC was going, the tv was on...in short, the possibility of having an evening was returned to us. And things were fine, until I spotted the second mouse of the summer in my kitchen. I think a cat will be extremely useful. This place is really going downhill, I've noticed. Several new tenants have moved in, and they are what you would call trifling....not trifling trivial (the word's truer meaning), but slovenly and lowbrow, as the word has come to be used.

No comments: