Monday, June 06, 2005

Humility is enough of a reason

In pondering the state of things for the last several days, and taking into account the comments I received in response to Friday's entry (Thanks Quill and Catchka), it dawned on me that humility is always God's goal for me, in every instance. He prizes it almost more than anything else. Maybe there shouldn't even be a qualifier in that last sentence. The lesson needn't be any deeper than that.

We enter into fellowship with Christ most intimately through his sufferings. His suffering is emblematic of his humility and his humility allowed him to make himself obedient to death, even death on a cross.

Naturally, my trials, however overwhelming they are for me, are not comparable to his. But I know God can use it to shape my character. Weeks before the last time I saw g, after I had been praying "what is this about?" for months, God spoke to me very unceremoniously one Saturday morning. He said two words: Complete. Mortification.

Being human, I wanted to skip the "death" of that and head straight to the resurrection.

No comments: