Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Blackout

I met up with new friends from the Graduate Christian Fellowship group for dinner last night. They are an older married couple--extremely hospitable--and invested in getting to know me so soon, so of course I was excited to join them. The husband is a Ph.D in Chemistry. His wife is a cellist and has done graduate work in Music theory.

All day yesterday the air was sweltering and indicated that pretty strong storms were due to arrive. At some point during our meal, the sky tore open. I enjoy thunder and lightning tremendously and found that it added a nice touch of drama to this meal with compadres. Sipping cappuccino in the once-avoided-like-the-plague Charles Village (twice in as many days, I am tempting fate!)seemed to be the most delightful thing I could possibly be doing on a monday night. I even got dessert (most of which I took home to my sister).

Once back at my building, I saw that the power was out. I was concerned that Caryl might be horribly bored or ill-at-ease. Hurrying up the stairs (bumping into neighbors playing cards in the hall by the generator lights)to my flat, I realized I'd have to leave her again to go to the gym (there was 1 hour left before closing). We chatted briefly. I gave her the cream cheese tart (cherries and chocolate) and headed out to have another killer work out. 39 minutes on the elliptical and some light leg lifting, then back home.

By the time I returned to my building for the second time, even the generator lights were out. This time, going up the stairs was a study in feeling my way blind. I did okay. Once inside, C and I just lay on my bed with the window open. The storm afforded us a fortunate break in the heat and humidity. She was practicing a french song, reading the sheet music by flashlight. I admired my developing quadriceps.

When the lights came on, we whooped for joy. I took a shower and talked to Catchka before eventually going to bed at nearly 1 a.m. Working out after 9 p.m. is like a shot of espresso. I was pretty amped.

No comments: