Thursday, April 03, 2003

Want to talk about it over a drink this Friday (if you're free)?

A question occurred to me yesterday about whether critical and commercial success is crucial to my writing. Would I feel fulfilled just churning out poems and short stories if I died undiscovered and uncelebrated? In the context of an e-mail Mr. Renaissance sent around about recent developments in his painting, I asked him if he expected to be a critically-recognized painter someday. I had a feeling this inquiry would pique his conversational interest---I was pretty sure it would be good for an e-mail or two---but he came back strong with a plan to chat in person, which is better, of course.

He thinks it's too complex to discuss something like this over e-mail and he's right. I'm looking forward to bringing our friendship outside the confines of Yahoo! and into the actual world. I used to feel so blessed to have that contact with him, but the longer we are friends, the more ridiculous "talking" to him primarily in e-mail seems.

Yesterday I tried to go to bed for the night at 7 p.m., but by 8:45 I was awake and feeling well-rested. When I went back to bed at 2 a.m., I still felt solidly awake, but was able to snooze until 4 when the alarm sounded. I woke up feeling like a million bucks. Cats understand... It's always about sleeping deeply for a little while. Alot.

In other news, I am psyching myself up for a drastic haircut. It's the only way to deal with my hair's propensity toward dreading right now.

No comments: