Monday, April 28, 2003

First Day

My first day at my new company went as smoothly as I could have hoped. I was the most nervous about learning the bus route, since it was unclear to me where to disembark (in the morning), and where to pick up (in the evening). It ended up being very simple.

Once at the office, I met with the Human Resources rep., and signed all the appropriate paperwork, got my company shirt (which I'm not required to wear, it's just a little gift), and got plugged into the network and voicemail systems. I learned that it is a 5-day-a-week casual atmosphere. I can wear jeans every day if I want to, unless an important client is coming through, in which case we'll all be asked to make an effort to dress up a bit.

Funny occurrence. When I went in search of tea bags this afternoon, I found a fully stocked cabinet of Miller Light. The Human Resources rep. happened to be standing righ there, so I commented on it, and she chuckled, then quickly came back with "I think there are some cold ones somewhere..." I think she was serious.

The thing I am most struck by is how well-rested I feel. I woke up at 7:30 this morning and returned home by about 6:30, but it's different from returning home at 6:30 from Rockville. Now that my life is centralized, I don't feel divided. It is exhausting just having to split your life the way I had been, let alone the time it took.

I got a couple of e-mails from former coworkers this morning. I wonder what it was like there today without me...

As for me, well I felt perfectly at home where I was.

No comments: