Sunday, April 20, 2003

I slept for 3 hours after I got home from a post-church lunch, then I walked to Penn Station and bought a weekly train ticket that will expire on Friday, April 25th. It strikes me as being somewhat sad that no conductor will ever collect this ticket because Sarahbina is picking me up from work on Friday afternoon, and then we are meeting some friends from her old church in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. for dinner and conversation. Maybe I will frame it as a vestige of a difficult time that I will never have to repeat. I will look at it and remember waking up at 4 a.m., walking under the cover of darkness to a lonely train station, the only other people on the streets of my city decidedly belonging to a shady, criminal element.

I am hoping that this last week of my working in Rockville will be something beautiful, and that when I leave that building, I won't have left anything undone. Beauty and completion are inextricably linked.

No comments: