Wednesday, April 09, 2003

Initial Assessment

I met with the woman who is my potential future boss this morning at 9 a.m. I also met with her boss, albeit briefly, right after my chat with her. I know that my friends have been praying for me or, as the case may be, thinking good thoughts for me, because I woke up feeling absolutely calm. I was the least internally harried I've ever been going into an interview session.

First Impression? I liked my interviewer a lot. She was warm, frank, appropriately encouraging without being obsequious, and therefore didn't strike a false note. She asked me good questions, left the door open wide for me to talk to her about my feelings about my work, and what I would have to offer, as well as my "marketable" strengths. Talking with her boss was also comfortable. I intuited that I can really be part of what is happening there if they offer me the position.

I will be, if all goes well, in a position to really shape, in an editorial sense, the look and feel of their curriculum. As opposed to being on the bottom rung of a team of editors working with material that does not captivate or move me in the slightest, I would be the editorial element of something already very dear to me. That is both a terrifying and heart-warming notion.

I know that I will be asked to wear several hats, because this is a start up division of a well-established entity; flexibility will be key. But if I can be part of something...crucial to something...then I think I will be surprisingly unselfish about what I'm willing to do for the sake of the job.

I perceived that the favourable response was mutual and that I am a strong contender for the position.

I will definitely let you all know. All I can say now is that they promised I'd be hearing from them (and I was asked when I could be available if it came to an offer).

No comments: