Sunday, April 27, 2003

Small Spaces

For the better part of a year Sarahbina and I have shared a one bedroom/one bathroom apartment. Of course no one would have gotten such an apartment with two people in mind. My plan to live alone didn't pan out for a number of reasons. But I want to live alone, still, and at this moment the desire is especially present. I don't want to live my entire adult life feeling squished down into places that are too cramped. The entire last year of my life has been cramped. The entire 29 years I've lived on this planet have been cramped.

On days like this I feel that I would never want to be married, never want to share the air I breathe with another person, never want to care what they feel about the temperature in the room, or be made to feel that the way I do anything is getting on their nerves.

I'm tired of compromising. If I want to eat crackers for dinner I don't want anybody having anything to say about it. And I'm tired of the baggage that comes with having to move around somebody else's soul, and the souls of the people they know.

No comments: