Saturday, December 27, 2003

I've spent the last two days at Sarah's. On Friday we went to visit with her parents and extended family in Carlisle, Pennyslvania. I was less than an exemplary traveling companion due to my lingering tension headache. To make matters worse, I got one of those terrible sores on the back of my gum on the left side that is usually the result of a compromised immune system and/or stress.

Anyway, last night after getting back we finally opened up our presents to each other. It was like a full blown celebration all over again. Because Sarah's moving out left me with almost no kitchen tools, she outfitted me with my own stuff, and I am excited to start playing with my fun new toys (including a blender!).

Tonight Catherine came over to eat dinner and we all had a good discussion about behavior patterns we'd like to work on changing, or contine to improve in 2004. My big thing for the next calendar year is being better adept at taking my emotional temperature.

Speaking of which, my mom and I had a lovely conversation this morning. She called my cell phone just as I was waking up, and we were able to clear the air even more from our confrontational discussion a few weeks ago (in which I told her I was furious at her for so many things her head would spin if she knew about them all).

The incognito/negligent Gordon sent me a pitiful excuse of an e-mail this morning. Not sure how to reply to this thing yet. I'm praying through my feelings to formulate an appropriate answer. I'm also disciplining myself by waiting to respond for a few days. I would normally write back immediately, but I can honestly say I did not feel inclined to dignify his e-mail-- which was so counterintuitive to anything even remotely resembling our level of friendship--with a prompt reply. Honestly, in some ways it was better when I'd not heard from him in a month, because this 2-sentence communique was just insulting. I debated never replying. It's still an option. I feel good about the fact that I didn't have my normal desire to send him a scathing letter so mean-spirited it could peel the outerlayer of his soul. I have, instead, a desire to be honest with him without alienating him. I guess that's progress.

Now, I am happily back in my apartment, getting ready to put my presents away, and reconnecting with my space. I'm listening to John Mayer's "City Love" and thinking about how far I've come since I first heard this song.

No comments: