Monday, December 01, 2003

Cake Toppers

On a brief mission with Sarah yesterday that had nothing to do with weddings, we found ourselves in a wedding paraphenalia and cake store (she was looking for a specific kind of cake pan). I saw that interracial cake toppers are now manufactured as a matter of course. Not every possible combination of interracial coupling, which would be difficult to do, since any number of possibilities exist. But, the gesture of having black man/white woman and white man/black woman cake toppers heartened me.

For all I know this has been the case for years, but when I was a child, I can tell you that they did not make them at all. The assumption was "like with like," and something in my little girl's heart always broke a little over that. I didn't see what I knew my wedding was going to look like in those cheap, kitschy, plastic, same-raced figures. I also felt that it was negating the validity of love, in general, outside the boundary of race. I didn't know why I was upset (not totally) at the time, but when I saw that a correction had been made, it made something a little more right for me, as far as the world is concerned.

I probably wouldn't even do a cake topper in the fashion of the plastic people figurines, but still, now I know I could.

No comments: