Monday, August 25, 2003

Sunflowers, Part II

Michael went to the farmer's market yesterday morning, and I jokingly asked him to buy me a sunflower (my desire for a sunflower was not a joke, but the expectation of him bringing me one, was not serious); I didn't quite know what to say to him when he showed up at the apartment with two, staggeringly huge ones, complete with smaller red-petaled ones rounding out the arrangement. He said it was a "birthday prequel."

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Again?

I prayed on Saturday night that God would help Gordon and I to see the real version of the other one of us, not the illusion of who we try to be. I don't know if his coming to dinner was in any way an answer to that prayer, but he did sup with us (Me, Michael, and Sarah) last night. I invited him over on a whim to partake of Sarah's homemade eggplant parmesan. He came over at 7 with two Coronas, which he and I drank with dinner (Sarah and Michael are not beer people).

Michael purchased an apple streudel for dessert, and since G does not care for apples, I asked him if he would be totally unable to enjoy dessert. He commented that he was surprised at how much I remember about him. The remark was devoid of any favourable or unfavourable sentiment; just a throwaway comment. But it made me feel somewhat exposed. It's the little things that betray us....

But I have to ask myself what about any of this is clandestine? I've had his general sense of oblivion toward my feelings for him working in my favour, helping me to fly beneath the radar signal all this time, but what if he's waking up?

After our meal, we all watched "Hello, Dolly!" I learned that he and I both dislike musicals, for the most part, but he surprisingly liked this one about a widowed New York City socialite/matchmaker who is in love with a curmudgeonly, quasi-millionaire who lives in Yonkers, and has to paint him one hell of a picture before he "gets" it. I'm no NYC socialite (or Barbra Streisand), but thematically, it was reminiscent of our little friendship.







No comments: