Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Ghosts of Hair and Flowers

I’m staring into this cup of old dead coffee thinking about how my red gerber daisies gave up their ghosts in an instant when I wasn’t watching. What is the sound of a falling flower? Sunday dinner found me sitting across the table from him again, and I wondered in my thinking heart, ‘how many more tables can we sit down to before we both know what we’re looking at?’ I smelled the smell of cherry tobacco on his skin, I don’t know if there is any such thing, but it was all rain and earth and sweet, like ancestors, a coming thunderstorm in July. I heard the scrape of his jaw when his hand rubbed his chin. Oh that I were a glove upon that hand that I might touch that cheek Can you really say you know someone till you’ve heard him laugh in the dark?

I try to imagine that someday I may look and find nothing to love about these hours I spent, trying to give up the ghosts I’ve known, who have outgrown the trip I’m taking. So many people will not make it into this next decade with me, though I needed them to get here.

I don’t want to revise history, but I have to get out of its box of narrow definitions. If I don’t want to live my mother’s life I’ve got to stop bouncing checks, identifying with myself only by way of what has gone wrong.

I cut my hair for the wrong reason at 23, but if I needed to do that to find my niche at 29, so be it. So be it. So be it.

No comments: