Tuesday, August 19, 2003

The Passing of Time After a Significant Event

I begin this post knowing that I am having a disproportionate response (a quiet one, but disproportionate, nonetheless) to Saturday's events. I feel that something important and somehow "monumental" happened, that there should be some type of ripple to be felt now, days later, in the greater Baltimore area (though I would settle for him feeling ripples in his heart). In truth, it was just Gordon meeting my sisters, and while that is cool, maybe even "good," It is not profound. People meet people's families... even people who don't end up being part of your life sometimes meet your loved ones, and it really is no big deal.

The days now, since Saturday, are somewhat odd and differently-shaped for me, though. I feel like I let him see something priceless, like I allowed him into the inner sanctum of my other life. It is not simply that he met my sisters, but more that he has never met anyone that is just mine. He knows Sarah because she is my roommate, and we were friends when I was getting to know him 5 years ago... but she is not someone I had to take great pains to introduce to him.

My sisters are from the life about which I tell anecdotes. They were practically fables before Saturday, where my life with him is concerned. Now that we've all been in the same room together, it made the gap between me and him seem smaller even.

There are a few more people that I really want him to meet, but do I do myself harm by letting him meet those I love, when to me it means induction into the deepest part of my life, whereas to him it might be simply a pleasant diversion? His meeting these people would be meaningful to me because of what he means to my heart... but I must acknowledge that everything with him is still only a theory. Conjecture.

I want to enter my 30s without the old tendency to create specific definitions and meanings for things that have no basis in the actuality of my life. But does it need to translate into his value system the way it does in mine in order to be valid to me? Can I say that his wearing a suit, though it seemed to be such a specific gesture (and a favourable one at that) given the circumstances, means that he wanted to impress my family, and therefore me?

Can I just enjoy that it happened without murdering the beauty of the event by dissecting it to death?

Can this have affected him no more deeply that meeting any other friends' family members, and still be considered among the most significant events in my unfolding friendship with him?

No comments: