Monday, May 05, 2003

What is most different about my new job is the amount of actual work I do in a given day. At this point, the pace is not frenetic (not by any means), but I am always busy doing the actual, albeit solitary, work of an editor. Without having to break up my day into arbitrary codes, charging my time in half-hour increments, I find that I can actually think. Ideas occur to me. I am finding ways to be ahead of the game, to really leave my stamp on the documents I touch.

At my old job I knew that somebody else was going to be looking at the papers that crossed my desk, and I am sorry to say that often was my excuse for not being super careful. Other times, even if I tried my hardest, my work would be undermined by another person's superceding editorial effort, which would make me feel like my work didn't matter anyway....

Now I am the last stop, and I find that that makes me care very deeply about every jot and tittle.

No comments: