Sunday, May 18, 2003

Every Freckle On My Face Is Where It's Supposed To Be (India.Arie)

One of the distinguishing features of my face is the tiny freckle that lives on the tip of my short, pert nose. I also have several others, scattered liberally, but spaced widely apart, on my cheeks, jaw line, and around my eyes. I didn't realize I had any for several years (except for the obvious one that evokes memories of "Samantha" wriggling her nose on "Bewitched" to make magic and miracles happen) until I really looked in the mirror one day. It was a pleasant surprise to "discover" something so obvious (in retrospect) about me. It gave me a sense of hope that things would somehow be fine.

It helped me understand that just because something is hidden from me, doesn't mean it isn't there. I am preoccupied with what waits to be discovered. I am comforted by what I already know, but am enamored of that which waits to be known.

No comments: