Monday, February 10, 2003

Monsters and Angels

Welcome to my 1st annual 'Vestiges' theme-week. I will be ruminating over, observing, and poetically justifying my reactions to the calendar event that gets blown out of proportion by millions, especially me.

I remember giving out the small, assorted Valentines to classmates in grade school. I always took great pride in selecting which of the limited variety I had at my disposal came the closest to how I actually felt about each of my classmates. One year I was in turmoil because I thought the messages on my cards were too effusive and I didn't think they matched the friendly but distant relationships I had that year. I thought the kids in my class would think I was stupid for giving them such gushy cards, and would laugh at me.

I also remember putting a rain-soaked valentine (also from an assortment box [I told myself it was kitschy]) underneath the windshield wiper of my high school crush's car. And the agonizing humiliation I felt when he didn't acknowledge it.

More to come....

No comments: