Saturday, February 08, 2003

I have not been dreaming lately, but I made up for it this morning in spades. I woke up at about 7:23 a.m., cold. I decided to move into the living room where it was warmer and finish out my sleep there. I must have had 3 or 4 dreams, and what they have revealed to me, I cannot ignore. Mr. Renaissance figured prominently in all of them, and in these vaporous images I found him to be just as disengaged with me and my life as he is in actuality.

In one scene we were together, and a man came upon us, with seeming threatening intentions toward me. Mr. Renaissance disappeared. I knew I had to face down what I feared alone. At some point another man came to help me. After I was no longer in danger, I went to find him. He had gone to the bathroom.

In another vignette I was with him in some room. I was on the phone with my mother telling her that the best way to know what was up with me was to read my online journal because it was "up-to-the-minute" as far as my life was concerned. Mr. R. was sketching me while this was going on. When I hung up, he said to me "I've been sketching you; I hope you like it." He showed me a very elementary drawing of me with a large gap between my front teeth. I didn't say anything.

In the final scene I can remember that I called him on his cell phone and told him that since my roommate was no longer going to be home, it was okay for him to come over. And I mentioned something about him being able to eat some left over shrimp fried rice, and he intimated that he might not want that, so I said he could have some wonton soup if he liked. Then he changed the subject. He said we could talk about what painting me was going to entail when he got there. After hanging up with him I banished Mr. T., who had apparently been in the apartment for some time, to the spare bedroom.

No comments: