Thursday, January 23, 2003

PSR: Week Two

Until further notice, this document is in my charge. It hasn't been so bad this week, owing, I'm sure, to the fact that I was off on Monday. But today is the day it will be issued, so things might get frantic as the hours go by. I find that "the agency" likes to send me updates at the last minute. I'm a real time kind of girl, so I revise the report as I receive the revisions, not in a lump, but still--this thing is so dynamic--it is meant to reflect status up to the very moment, and keeping it straight has gotten hairy a few times.

I wish there were a PSR for my life. I am very encouraged by the idea that progress is being made, even if the bottom line hasn't changed. And this is the one element of this beastly waste of time assignment I can get behind. It tracks the smallest movement, in any direction, that is occurring on a given publication. If someone made a telephone call to find out the number of someone else to call to find out information, that gets recorded. It encourages productivity, It implies, then states "next steps;" it tells you, by section, who "owns" the responsibility to make a move. It is the ultimate in "Whose Court Is This Ball In, Anyway?" politics.

No comments: