Monday, January 27, 2003

The City Cafe

After an exhausting grocery store run Sarahbina and I lunched at the City Cafe, a few streets over from our apartment, yesterday. We both got chicken salad sandwiches on white with a slice of bacon and french fries on the side. We discussed some of the pitfalls of the contemporary Christian subculture, how it misses the mark for one trying to live out a life of faith that is characterized by authenticity. As the years have progressed I feel that I have become more and more fringe, in terms of the classic protestant evangelical paradigm. My issues are not with the ideology of Christianity, but with the perception of many believers that true faith has a prefabricated, shrinkwrapped kit of clothing, preferred music, acceptable artistic expression, etc. I am not anti standards or opposed to fundamental Christian principles. But there is so much room for interpretation where so many things are concerned--and too many of the brethren have made black and white what needn't be.

I came to understand a few years ago that any man I would even consider marrying needed to be just as committed to his faith in a fringe way as I am. Who knew that "rebellion" and conservatism could co-exist? As long as it's taken, I feel that I can finally embrace the ambiguity of my own preferences and opinions, and can make room for blurred edges. in some instances, anyway.

With that being said, Let's get this show on the road!

No comments: