Tuesday, January 21, 2003

A History of Us

A love for the "City of Lights" is being engendered in my heart. I'm not sure how this happened. I just woke up one morning and it appealed to me, and then my life opened up to receive it. Devika sent me that lovely lyrical story Black Girl In Paris, before that, it occurred to me that I might like to go there for a honeymoon, and now in Auster's autobiography, which I am nursing like a cocktail, he waxes on about returning there after a 3-year hiatus feeling like there was "unfinished business" waiting for him.

My precious Mr. R laments not being able to get good croissants since he's been there (some years ago now).

I imagine riding around with him on his motorcycle through the city square, scaring pigeons, being crazy in love and newly married.

Paris has come to me like every good idea I've ever had, like every notion that ever panned out, like each piece of intuitive knowledge I've come to own...

Of its own volition without coaxing from me.

No comments: