Thursday, January 23, 2003

Initial Impressions

I went to the intake meeting and felt a strong sense of benevolence the moment I walked in the door. I met with Mr. Brantley, the husband of Dr. Astra Brantley (the counselor I'll be seeing), who conducted my session just by having me fill out some forms; there wasn't much to the process, but his manner made me feel welcomed and cared for. He took my coat, poured me coffee, thanked me for my patience while he helped out others, and I just knew I was in the right place.

Because this organization is Christian faith-based as well as psychologically sound, my therapy will be grounded in the world view that is so foundational to me, my choices, how I feel and process information... and while I was not originally going to insist on that combination, I believe it is the best for me.

and I loved that Mr. Brantley asked me if I am praying for a husband. He wasn't suggesting that this is a solution for me. He was just being personable, wanted to know more about me--and it got right to the heart of a desire of mine. I believe that question was God ordained. I told him that I was--that I felt that God had spoken to me quite directly about it. He encouraged me to pay attention to that, then told me the story of how God brought his wife, my soon-to-be counselor, to him.

It gave me courage to believe that this whole process is not just for my general emotional well-being, but for the fulfillment of my hopes.

No comments: